Sunday, June 30, 2013

In Which I Make Some Observations

So, just a few thoughts. Nancy's post updated you on what's going on. I just have to get my word in. First off, Olle Trail hikes aren't like any of the hikes I've done in the US. They are through towns, through farms, everywhere, and only portions of them were through forests or along the coast. I'm not saying that it wasn't cool or that I didn't like it, I'm just saying that it was different from what I'm used to, and that's okay. Second, in case you were wondering, 18.8 kilometer is a whole freaking lot of kilometers! It's like 11 miles! I haven't hiked that far in a few months, and I don't think I even hiked that much on our trip down to Pandora's Box when I broke my hand. Granted, the two are kind of apples and oranges, since I wasn't packing a huge backpack this time, and this terrain was way easier, but I'm just saying. It's a long way to walk, no matter what terrain you're on. Third, (and not related to the first two) I have noticed a major mindset here: Conservation. Like, to a pretty big degree. You sort your trash. Paper recyclables, plastic, glass, and metal recyclables (and those you have to wash out), food garbage, and then regular garbage (though I'm not sure what's left for that). AND if you don't sort it right, the garbage people will sort through your garbage looking for something that identifies you so they can fine you! What the? Anyway, there's that. Also, they don't have central air. They have individual A/C units for every room. Also, hot water isn't accessible from every tap just by turning the tap onto hot water. You have to turn on the house's hot water first, and then you can get hot water from the tap. Also, not conservation related, it's not recommended that you drink the tap water here. Just kind of interesting. Finally (I think this is my last thought.) I think I'm going to have to bend over a lot here. Everything is smaller or put down lower to the ground, like sinks, refrigerators, drawers, even light switches to some degree! Despite all that, I am enjoying myself and overall I like it here. At any rate, that's all I've got at the moment. I'll post a picture from Saturday that Nancy didn't post and make an end.


Actually, make that two photos, because there's one I think my dad and brothers might find interesting:


It's like a rototiller with no blades rigged to pull a trailer! How cool is that? Apparently you'll see these things all over the island. Anyway, that's all I've got. This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment