Saturday, July 20, 2013

In Which We Eat Meat

So on Friday night Nancy was in the mood to eat meat and so after work we headed out to find a garby place. Garby is when you have a grill in the middle of your table and they put meat on it and generally you cook it. Turns out that pretty much no matter where you go in our area, garby is ridiculously expensive. However, we had decided wanted meat and so we just went for it. In the end we choose a restaurant where you don't have to sit on the floor (which is really nice, believe me) and which I think was kind of towards the lower end of the spectrum as far as price goes. It was a fun experience. I like how a lot if the time here in Korea the people who are serving you are often also the owners of the restaurant. In this case it was a really nice lady who informed us that she made all the vegetables and kimchi herself and was nice enough to cook our meat for us on our table, (instead of having us cook it) probably because we're foreigners, but I'm cool with it. Also while we were starting our meal a guy from another table came and gave us a bowl of orange rice, informed us in English that it was hot rice, then went back to his table. I tried the rice, and it wasn't that hot, but the lady had already brought us some kind of cold soup that we were eating and it had some hot peppers in it that I wasn't expecting, and when I choked and coughed a little the guy from the other table and all his friends of course thought it was hilarious. When the lady walked by his table he told her what he had done and she slapped him on the shoulder. Anyway, it was a fun experience. The lady serving us was so nice that I would have felt bad if we hadn't eaten everything and she kept saying things like, "Make sure you eat lots of vegetables because they're expensive right now." and "Oh, you don't like or like that? I'll make it without that next time you come." Overall it was a fun, quintessentially Korean experience, and we will probably be going back, next time we're cool with dropping just under 26 dollars on a meal. That being said, I think that's all I've got for the moment. This Is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment