Thursday, August 15, 2013

In Which I Do Two Things That I Love

So, yesterday was a holiday here. Like Korean Independence Day or something. I'm not sure what it's celebrating independence from, but I was cool with a day off. We decided to go up and check out this valley that I'd read about online. It's called the...Bangseonmun Valley, and it's actually pretty close to town. We planned on taking a bus up there, but it turns out that the bus schedules are pretty schizophrenic. So we started walking from our transfer point, but then this nice foreigner guy and his Korean wife picked us up and gave us a ride. The valley is right next to the Halla Library. Anyway, we went down into the valley, and it was sweet! It's definitely a canyon! It's not a particularly technical canyon, but it is a canyon, and that's what counts, really. We got to do some downclimbs and a lot of boulder hopping, which I don't generally like, but which I loved because I haven't gotten to do it for so  long. It's actually about five kilometers long, and we didn't do the whole thing, because there was water and I had my cell phone in my pocket and my tablet in my backpack. However, we're going to go back more prepared and kick that canyon's butt, from the top and all the way down to the bottom. We'll even bring harness and rope and webbing in the hopes that it will turn out to have a rappel or two in it! A man can always hope. At any rate, that's one of the things that I love that I got to do yesterday.

The other thing happened after we got home. Nancy bought me a guitar for our anniversary, since I lamentably had to leave my guitar back in our storage unit. A mistake by the person we ordered it from means that my guitar is pink, but you know what? I'm not ashamed. I'm confident enough in my manhood that I can play a pink guitar. At any rate, I haven't tried too hard to play it before last night, mostly because of my handicapped finger and because it doesn't hold a tune very well. However, last night I picked it up and finally pounded out one of my favorite songs: "Peaceful, Easy Feeling" by the Eagles. It wasn't very smooth, as my finger remains a little handicapped, and because I haven't practiced in who knows how long, and the guitar was almost ear-rendingly out of tune, but you know what? It was awesome! I remembered just how much I love playing the guitar and how therapeutic it is. Heck, I don't even have any problems right now and it felt super good! So, there's that. That's all I've got for this post. I'll put up some pictures of the Bangseonmun Valley once I get them off the camera. We'll be sure to take a bunch of pictures when we descend it. CANYONEERING! This is Captain Danger out.

3 comments:

  1. I want to see some pics of you rockin the pink guitar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to see some pics of you rockin the pink guitar!

    ReplyDelete