Tuesday, August 6, 2013

In Which I Try New Foods

So, we went to what basically amounted to a branch party on Sunday. It was a housewarming party for some members of the branch who had just moved, and basically the entire branch was there. It turned out to be really fun! I mostly didn't understand what was going on, but I'm better at getting an idea of what people are talking about with only knowing a few words, at least I am more than I used to be. Also, I got a chance to try some new foods. The main dish there was curry, but they also had popbingsu for an appetizer. That is a very Korean dessert-type thing that is shaved ice with red bean on it, as well as fruit and sometimes ice cream. Red bean, Nancy has always told me, is nasty, and I assumed she was right, because, I mean, it's a bean, right? In this situation we couldn't not eat it, and turns out that it's actually pretty good! What Nancy doesn't like is the texture and it didn't bother me at all. So, now I know that I like popbingsu. The curry was good, but they had some side dishes that I was pretty sure to avoid. One was octopus tentacles. No thank you. They also had kimchi, which is always there, and it actually wasn't half bad. I decided to try it again. I think just eating Korean food more often must be getting me more used to the taste or something. Also, in the end the branch president was sitting across from me and kept on making me try things that were put on the table, like tiny dried fish (they tasted like nasty fish) and a melon, which I had already had, but I had no way to know that. At any rate, it was fun to get together with the people in our branch, and some of the people there even spoke English, so I actually got to socialize! Also, did you know that you can eat cake with chopsticks? Turns out you can. Anyway, that's all I have for this story. This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment