Friday, November 8, 2013

In Which We Go Trick or Treating

So, this post was pretty long in coming. I have reasons. We went to the mainland right after (I think Nancy will post about that one) and then promptly got sick. But, I'm now posting about our Halloween party. It was pretty fun. And I will point out that few people in Korea celebrate Halloween, but we celebrate it at our private school, just for fun, I think. Maybe to give the kids and "English" activity? But then, I think the only English speaking countries that are really big on Halloween are the US and Canada and maybe kind of Britain? The South African couple that works at our school said that they don't do it down there. Anyway, it was pretty fun. Nancy and I dressed up as soldiers. I liked it because I got to carry a gun. Here's a picture:

You can also see some of the decorations. Apparently each of those balloon pillars cost like 50 dollars. Seriously? Also, I had most of the kindergartners convinced that my AK-47 was real. It was pretty awesome.
The kindergartners were, as predicted, super cute in their costumes. Pretty much all of the girls were some kind of princess, including one that was the Little Mermaid. Anyway, we actually felt a little redundant for most of trick or treating. We went to a few of the kids' houses and they sang a song and then they got candy. My favorite parents would give us, candy, too. That only happened a couple times, but I don't say no to free candy! Here's a picture of a couple of the boys I teach. I didn't really get any others of the kindergartners:

Most of the boys dressed up as some kind of superhero.
We didn't end up having to help with the pumpkin carving, and I guess the teachers did all the knife work. Thank goodness. I don't know for sure, though, I wasn't there. Eventually the older kids came, and that was kind of a whirlwind. We had a few activities that they rotated through. The favorite was limbo, which was hilarious to watch. Here are a few pictures from the afternoon:

I don't teach this kid, but I think that his ghost costume definitely wouldn't go over well in most parts of the US

My first graders. Notice that most of them have the exact same outfit, including the boys. That's because that's what was at the stores. 

One of my third grade classes. Notice that your standard Halloween costume is a witch hat and a cape, maybe add an accessory. Pretty fun.



Limbo!
So, it was pretty fun overall. It was kind of tiring, and I'm pretty sure that I got sick from this day. But oh well. After it was over we got to go out for dinner at a really expensive place, though the killer thing was that they led us past the main dining room, which has chairs, to a private dining room, where we have to sit on the floor! I know it's part of Korean culture, but I've done it. I would much rather have a chair.

At any rate, that's all I have to share about this event. It was pretty fun. I'll let Nancy write about our trip to Seoul and Gimcheon, and then I have an excellent post to write. This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment