Saturday, December 14, 2013

In Which We Climb a Hill

You know, one of the great things about living here on Jeju is that they have a fancy name for all of their hills: oreums. You don't go out and walk up a hill. You go out and you hike up an oreum! It's enough to make climbing the neighborhood molehill sound like an adventure. Today we had just such an adventure. Generally they yield some pretty good pictures. Today was no exception.

We were hoping to go and do part of an olle trail today, as it's been quite a while and 'tis the season to get out when the woods and jungles and everything else aren't crawling with enormous spiders. However, it was pretty cold and the trail we had in mind was mostly along the coast, and Nancy has come down with a cold. I blame grubby Korean children. Curse them and their germs! So, we decided on the next best thing. Out near Ham Deok Beach is an oreum. Not a hill, mind you, an oreum. We hiked on this oreum shortly after we arrived here in Jeju when we did our first olle trail with our coworkers. The trail went on the oreum and showed us some pretty good views, but it didn't go to the summit, and that has been bothering me ever since.

Today, we went back. Ham Deok beach was almost deserted, which was pretty awesome. There was a brisk wind blowing in off the ocean, and it was kicking up some pretty good waves. The hill, excuse me, oreum, was pleasant, though a little cold, but I had my coat unzipped by the time we got to the top. The views were great, and we were even there for the beginnings (and really the best parts) of a spectacular sunset. The pictures are as follows:

Looking across the beach to the hill oreum. Notice how we had some really nice clouds today.

Looking back toward the mountain.

The cool bridge they have at Ham Deok. And waves!

Nancy on the trail.

This is the summit. I'm pretty sure the mound behind me is a grave. Who knew the summit of this oreum was a cemetery too?

View!

Looking great.

I'm a fan of this photo. I think we look good. Also, I'd just like to make it known that I'm loving having short hair again.


One of those "through the trees" shots that I like to take, though in this case it was because I wanted to take a picture of the view and there were also trees there.

Sunset!


Rocking the winter clothes.

This one turned out a little better in my head. I'm pretty sure that you could see my face in my head.


This one has the moon in it.
At any rate, after the hike we got noodles (I love me some good gook-su) and then headed home. Pretty nice outing. That's all I've got. This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment