Monday, December 9, 2013

In Which We Visit Some Sites

So, this last Saturday it was a beautiful day and we decided to go out and see a couple of the sights on the south side of the island we haven't been to yet. We went down to the five day market on our way to the bus terminal for a little Christmas shopping, and, of course, some hodeok. I decided to take a couple pictures of the five day market this time, which is a market held (believe it or not) every five days, where they sell everything from produce to jackets to puppies to fish to radios. Here are the crappy pictures I took:

Chickens! These were right next to the puppies. A little ways down they were selling dead chickens.

Produce, and that place on the right sells handmade knives and farm implements.

A lady selling some kind of seeds.

I don't even know if this coat is for sale, but I'm fairly certain that I must have it.
I'll have to take some more five day market pictures sometime. It really is an awesome place, we go a couple times a month.

We ended up taking a taxi down to the bus terminal because there aren't a ton of choices for buses at the five day market. Then we jumped on a bus and headed over the mountain. We saw a little bit of snow up there and then headed down to the other side of the island, where the weather was beautiful and sunny. We had a confusing moment when we got off the bus, but we eventually figured out where we were going. Our destination for the day was Saeyeongyo Bridge and Saeseom Island. They are right next door to Cheonjiyeon Falls, so we went there again, too, since it's free now that we have our foreigner cards. The bridge was pretty cool. It's this neat pedestrian bridge that I'm pretty sure was built entirely for tourists. I'm not complaining. Here are some pictures:

Looking across the bridge.

Us with the bridge.

Me on the bridge looking the other direction.

Nancy on the spiral staircase on the bridge.

View to the west from the bridge.

BIRD!
The island was pretty standard for the area: lava rocks with cool formations and some excellent views out over the ocean. Here are some pictures of that:

Cool overhanging formation. I'd jump off of that. I just think that the water is pretty shallow there.



I like how the color turned out on this one.

This is us totally copying a picture that our coworkers took last week. Theirs looks way better, because they're real photographers and they were patient enough to wait for sunset.


I'm pretty sure that my Hulk shirt has become my favorite shirt.

I thought this view through the trees was cool.
After that we went over and visited Cheonjiyeon Falls again. It's always a pleasant place to visit, and I got some fun pictures of the fall colors reflecting off the water in the river.

Path the the waterfall. Jeju is interesting. Some of the trees are bare, some are still changing colors, and there are still gobs of trees that still have all of their green leaves. I'm wondering if they'll ever change.


Cool reflection in the river.

Attractive wife with the river.

Cheonjiyeon Falls. There's less water this time, but it's still pretty.

A look back at the bridge as we headed out.
So, that's about all I've got for this post. It was a pleasant, laid-back outing and we both had a good time. I'll leave you with one more picture of Nancy and I.

It's not the same as the one I posted earlier. If you look closely, you'll notice some subtle differences.
This is Captain Danger out.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful!! I never really had a desire to visit Korea before, but seeing your blog and all your pictures made me definitely add it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the part where you were talking about the leaves colors "I wonder if they'll ever change." It made me laugh (see it's funny because) it's like if you pretend they're people and saying "oh I wonder if he'll ever change!" I am so weird.

    ReplyDelete