Sunday, January 19, 2014

In Which I Get Splashed

So, I'll admit that I've started to really want to get out and do something. We've just kind of relaxed for the past couple Saturdays, which, I'll grant, is nice, but I need some action, too. Yesterday (Saturday) we were planning on going up to the mountain to play in the snow, but it was raining a bit when we woke up, so we decided against it. Instead, we finally did something that I've wanted to do for a while. Jeju is a pretty windy place. And, every time I've looked out the window and saw the trees blowing around like crazy, I've thought, Man, Captain Danger, it would be really fun to go down to the ocean and see how big the waves are when there's a really strong wind. I've never had a chance to do it because it was a weekday and by then it was like 10:00 so by the time we rode the bus down there we'd have to get on it and come back. But, today we took a bus down to one of our standby places to go on a slow Saturday: the Dongmun market. This place has it all. It's pretty close to the ocean, it had a market with delicious hodeok (not to mention prodigious amounts of fish), and also a Daiso with lots of western candy.

Our first stop was to get our hodeok. That took longer than it should have because of something that I've noticed to be a bit of an oddity. Let me make an aside that hodeok (or usually spelled hotteok (호떡 in Korean), but you can debate about how to spell Korean words in English) is a delicious fried chewy pancake with honey inside. And the oddity is that when Koreans buy them, they always want a gross (I don't really know what a gross is, I just assume it's a lot). Seriously, though, almost no one buys one or two and eats them, they always want like 20 and so the people are there cooking a berjillion of them and we don't get any because some doofus ordered seven dozen. I'm not sure why they do this, because the kicker is that hodeok is really only delicious if you eat it warm. I mean, it's fine cold, but much, much better warm. Anyway, we finally got it and set off for the ocean.

I actually hadn't realized that the wind was blowing hard until this point, but then I got excited for the waves. The ocean did not disappoint. The waves were awesome. Also, it was really cold. I managed just fine, but Nancy was pretty chilly. I took a few pictures, but it's hard to convey how excellent the waves were in photo form. I'll do my best.

Waves!

It was shortly after I took this picture that the waves started breaking and splashing over the seawall, and Nancy ran for it. As you'll see soon, I did not run for it.




In the distance of this one you can see the wave splashing over the wall. I wanted to get a closer picture of one of these, but I'm pretty sure that wasn't really possible without getting soaked.


Proof that I didn't run for it. Well, I mean, I did, I just wasn't that good at it, and I kept going back. Also, go Cougars!
So, that was a pretty fun small outing. It's been a while since we've been down to the ocean and I liked it. That's one thing that I'll miss when we move back to the mostly landlocked Western United States. Living this close to the ocean is pretty awesome. Also, I Googled it and found out what a gross is. For those who didn't know, it's 144 of something. That's an apt exaggeration. At any rate, that's all I've got to talk about at the moment. This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment