Tuesday, January 14, 2014

In Which I Turn 29

I'm not sure how old it makes me in Korean age, but for better or for worse, I turned 29 yesterday. I can't say it worries me, I'm healthy and now that I'm married, I feel like there's not nearly as much pressure for me as I get older. Before it was like, "Gah! I'm 26 and I'm not married!" but now, it's no big deal, especially since my sister is the only one who's really pestering us to have kids. Anyway, we had a pretty quiet day. Apparently Nancy ordered my true birthday gift a few days back and it hasn't arrived yet, which I'm okay with. Heck, she gave me such a nice Christmas present, I'm surprised that she got me a birthday gift at all! We knew we wouldn't be able to go out to dinner on my birthday itself, so last Saturday we went to my favorite restaurant in the city: Self Bar! I don't know if I've mentioned this restaurant on our blog before, but if I haven't, I have thoroughly neglected it because it is AWESOME! You go in, they sit you down, and then you go and get meat and cook it on your table and you eat AS MUCH AS YOU WANT! You don't even have to pay that much and you can cook and eat pounds and pounds of meat! As this was our fourth time there, I've gotten substantially better at cooking meat. Used to be I'd burn all of it, but now I'm pretty awesome at it.

Anyway, on my birthday itself, we had an ice cream cake from Baskin Robbins, something which is always great. Nancy took some pictures of me with it.

I have to say, I look pretty fantastic in this picture.

I was successful in this. I think that the reason why there's even a question of non-success back home is because we usually have a huge sheet cake and the candles are all spread out. Here, they're all close together, and therefore much easier to blow out.

Apparently I was pleased. Also sideways.
Anyway, it was a good day. I confess that we didn't really do anything particularly exciting. I mentioned to my kindergarteners that it was my birthday and they were really cute and they all said happy birthday and gave me pencils and pieces of eraser and one of them gave me a hug. Nancy, of course, made it an excellent birthday. She's a lot better at giving gifts than I am. I have to be told exactly what to get and she always comes up with something great for me. I don't really have any other news at the moment. I think we're still recovering from our trip to China. Hopefully we'll have some kind of adventure this weekend to report on. This is Captain Danger out.

2 comments:

  1. You do look great! 29 suits you! Glad you had such a great day and a great wife who knows exactly what to get you gift-wise. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not a good gift giver either. Like you, I like to be given multiple choices, and then I can choose from that list and "surprise" them!

    It's hard to be thoughtful sometimes.... ;)

    ReplyDelete