Saturday, February 22, 2014

In Which We Eat a Keyboard

Ha! We're back! I apologize for the long hiatus. I'm afraid that after China and all the accompanying excitement, our lives have gotten a little boring. I partially blame the weather. It has sucked. I mean, I could have handled it, but most of us know how Nancy does with the cold. Plus, I'm not that excited about going out and doing things in the cold. But, last Saturday we finally got out and did something. It wasn't anything hardcore, but I thought it was pretty fun. Jeju has a lot of museums, some of which are really ridiculous. However, some of them are cool, and the one of them that is definitely the closest to our house is the Nexon Computer Museum. I've wanted to go for quite a while, and now that we have, I can say that it's definitely a fun place. It's really more of a video game museum than a computer museum, though they do have a lot of older computers on display, including one of the like five still functioning Apple 1s in the world, so that was pretty cool. However, they also have tons of classic stand-up arcade games there that, once you pay to get into the museum, you can play for free! Pretty awesome. I mean, I suppose that video games are a pretty big part of what we do with computers, and they're also where a lot of innovations are made, so I won't argue. In the basement they had a whole free arcade, including classic Pong, which I thought was pretty awesome. Also, they had a (crazily overpriced) cafe where you could buy a keyboard-shaped waffle! Did it cost about fifteen dollars? Maybe. But, when else are we going to get a chance to eat a keyboard waffle? Probably never. So, we went for it. At any rate, here are some pictures. Overall it was a fun place and I wouldn't mind going back. Ideally at a time when little kids aren't hogging all of the good games.

Keyboard waffle! How awesome is that?

I want this phone.

Old computers. These were what we once thought of as portable computers. They turn into briefcases.

The functioning Apple 1. Pretty cool-looking.

Nancy playing Space Invaders.

Nancy wearing the goggles for some kind of 3-D virtual reality thing. It was pretty cool. Once the goggles were calibrated it felt like you were actually inside of the video game, even though it didn't look real at all. It was partially because the view turned when you turned your head, and you could even see what was behind you. Also, the goggles looked pretty funny. I wish I had gotten a better picture of that.

This is a 3-D printer. I totally want one. I'm not sure what I would use it for, I just think it's so cool!
Anyway, that's that little outing. It's good to be back on the blog. I'll have another update on our trip back onto the Jeju Olle system here in a day or two. Adios.

No comments:

Post a Comment