Saturday, March 22, 2014

In Which I Walk 12 Miles

So, yesterday Nancy had a relief society activity, so I decided to see what I could do. I hit Olle Trail number 15 and I pounded out all 19 kilometers of it in just 3 hours and 48 minutes. I'm going to go ahead and be pleased with myself. At any rate, it was a pretty good hike. This one is almost completely inland, as opposed to most of the others, which generally follow the coast. However, it was still fun. The first half was mostly farmland (cabbage and broccoli this time of year) but the second half was forest and hills with great views. Here are some pictures.

Starting at the coast.

My hair is getting long again.

A field of purple cabbages.

I think this is a water tower. They're usually painted like this.

Pond!

Lots of farms have small plots set aside for family cemeteries. A lot of them are just mounds. Some of them are fancier than others.

The road is long, with many a winding turn.

Looking across the land. I think I climbed that hill by the end of the day, but I'm not sure.

Trail marker ribbons blowing in the wind.

Then there was a random temple seriously in the middle of nowhere (at least for Jeju) they saved space by putting the bell and the drum in the same tower.

Cabbage field with the ocean in the background.

Movin' down the trail.

Then there were these puppies that I took a picture of.


Then I went into this small patch of forest.

Then there was this nice view.

Then this tree was blooming. Apparently there's going to be a cherry blossom festival here on the island in a few weeks. It's finally spring!

Then there was this forest area that had the cool light and shadows thing going on.

Halfway done!

Then there was this awesome and very confident-looking dog.

Then there was a hill with this sweet view.

Then I followed this road up the hill.

Then I took this picture. I eventually climbed that hill, too.

Then I took this picture. It's looking inland, though it's hard to tell because it was so hazy.

Then I had a snack. I bought rice cakes for my snacks on this hike because Nancy doesn't like them that much. I think they're awesome, mostly the consistency. Also, I hope that the green stripe in this one wasn't green tea. That's one thing that I look forward to about going back home: No green tea flavored things. Here, everything that's green is suspect.

Then I saw this sign on this gas truck and realized what it meant and it made me happy. The first two syllable blocks say 위험 (wee-hum), which means danger, and the third one says 물(mool), which means water. That means that the signs on gas trucks say "Danger water!" This discovery makes me happy. Also, I think that danger water is like, the best name ever for gas.


Tree tunnel!

Another temple.

I took this picture of the temple. I could have gone further in to get a better picture, but by this point my feet were starting to hurt, as I'd already gone 10 miles. 

Then I took this picture from almost the top of a hill called Gonae-bong.

Then I got to the top and took some more pictures. The trail markers told me not to go all the way to the summit, but I told the trail markers to stuff it. I wasn't missing this.



Back at the ocean!

I still want one of these.
So, that's the hike. It was pretty great. I'll have more news soon. Until then, enjoy this post. This is Captain Danger out.

1 comment: