Tuesday, July 22, 2014

In Which We Get Thoroughly Trained

Well, more things have happened. This time it was our work training down in Tucson, Arizona. I won't bore you with details, but I will say that I'm pretty excited to work at this school. I think I'll have some pretty awesome coworkers and I like the level of freedom I'm going to be given with my curriculum, even if it is going to require a decent amount of work. Maybe more on that later.

Anyway, the main cool thing about this training is that they put us up in a nice hotel. I mean really nice. Like seriously. And I'm not just saying that because I've spent the last year staying in the cheapest guesthouses we could find. We were driving up to it and we kept on asking, "Are you sure this is the right place?" and we kept having to reassure ourselves with, "No, this is the place from the link that we were sent." and things like that. When we went to the front desk and I said, "We're here for the BASIS training," I half expected them to say, "We don't have any idea what you're talking about," but it was the right place! I've got a couple pictures of it.

Anyway, the training was good and I met some cool people and I got some work done. I made a fantastic introduction PowerPoint, and I also got to look at what I'll be teaching. All this time I thought I would be teaching US History to sixth graders, but it turns out I'll be teaching World History. I'm cool with that, and I think it will be a little more fun, but at the same time, it's a little daunting, because when I look at the topics I'm supposed to cover, I realized that there are seriously a lot of them that I don't know about. I guess I'll be learning a lot this year, too! At any rate, it was a pretty good week, and the thing that really sucked was that we had to go to some of it on Sunday. But then we got to go up to Phoenix and drive around looking at the temples with our friend Sarah, so that was cool. At any rate, here are some pictures.

The pool view of the resort.

Arizona!
Arizona sunset!

Mesa temple!

This one has Nancy and Sarah in it kind of.

Me and Nancy with the Gilbert Temple!
So, that's that. Overall we're looking forward to moving down there. We should have a good time and the heat isn't awesome, but we'll survive, I'm sure, especially since our apartment (which looks awesome, btw, we drove past it while we were in the neighborhood) has a pool. So, all that being said, I'll make an end with this awesome picture I took on the Fourth of July when I was feeling especially American.


This is Captain Danger out.

1 comment:

  1. I'm excited for you guys! I'm also jealous. I loved teaching sixth grade! I miss that. Also, it is hot in the desert. Really hot. But the winter and spring and fall will totally rock your world.

    ReplyDelete