Saturday, August 30, 2014

In Which We Get Scratched and Stabbed a Lot

So, it's been another week at school, and by the time the weekend rolls around, we're definitely ready to hit a canyon. This week our friend Sarah suggested one called Headdress Canyon, which is up in the Superstition Mountains. Sarah's a little obsessed with the Superstitions. But, turns out they're pretty cool. Anyway, this canyon was nice. It was really short, had a couple nice rappels, a couple fun downclimbs, and one unavoidable pool of water that was nice on a warm day. Turns out the Superstitions aren't far enough away from the Valley to get away from the heat of said Valley. There were two things that really stood out about this canyon. One, IT WAS LESS THAN AN HOUR AWAY! Seriously, that is fantastic. Back in Provo, the closest canyons are at least three hours out, and most of them are more than four by the time you've done the dirt road driving. This one was seriously less than an hour from our house. Fantastic. Second, we learned today that everything that grows in the Superstition Mountains is pointy. Seriously. Whether it be your saguaros or barrel cacti or prickly pears or just a bush or something, it's all pointy. Also, I marked a milestone with this canyon. It was my 60th canyon. I actually marked a milestone with Sundance Canyon last week that I didn't realize. That one was my 70th canyon descent (counting repeats). So, I'm feeling pretty pleased with myself at this point. At any rate, that's about all I've got to say about this canyon. Let the following pictures tell the story better than my words.

Hello, the Superstition Mountains!


Four Peaks in the background. I intend to climb that mountain at some point.


Rocks! This canyon was actually in limestone. My first limestone canyon!

Arch!

Looking down canyon.


Canyon!

Sarah going down the rabbit hole to the last rappel.

Nancy getting ready for her turn.


Sarah rappelling.

Nancy rappelling.


Our new friend Erin rappelling.




Me on a downclimb. Notice my moobs and gut. I've got the moobs like Jagger.

Looking back at the very pokey bushwack out of the bottom of the canyon.


It looks like this picture was taken crooked, but actually the saguaro is just leaning. Yay
for Arizona canyons!
So, that's that. We're having a great time down here. Tomorrow we're heading to Vegas to trade back Nancy's parents' truck for our trusty old (and I mean old) Honda, which should be nice, because after that we'll be spending a lot less money on gas. But, here's hoping that the two adventures we've had in the past couple weeks are just a precursor to tons that we have down here in the future! So far, despite its frequent pokiness, we're loving Arizona! This is Captain Danger out.

No comments:

Post a Comment